Outlook 2016 gal not updating exchange 2016
is a collection of mail-enabled recipient objects from Active Directory.Address lists are based on recipient filters, and are basically unchanged from Exchange 2010.Stack Exchange network consists of 175 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.Visit Stack Exchange I've been doing enterprise IT for about 8 years and have never had to ask a question in a forum, because you lovely folks had already answered all my questions for other people.Received a lot of 0x80040113 errors which just confirm that the GAL doesn't have these new users. I just get prompted with a credential box over and over, which seems reasonable if Outlook is still checking the GAL for these users.I feel like the most likely culprit was a Windows update gone bad, so I've removed recent updates, and that didn't do anything, so now it is fully patched. How about restart Microsoft Exchange information store service, Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service and Recipient Update Service? Moreover, check the event log in Exchange server and monitor the connection between GC and Exchange.For existing users running Outlook 2013, the new users do not appear in the Global Address List nor in the "All Users" address list.On the Exchange server, the new users appear in the "All Users" address book when running "Preview" in Edit Address List wizard (EMC All Users) I can run "Update-Global Address List -Identity "Default Global Address List." Command runs successfully with no errors generated.
Recipient filters identify the recipients that are included in address lists and GALs.Users are not hidden from Exchange address lists in their mailbox properties. Address books do not have spaces in ADSI Edit/Microsoft Exchange System Objects.Users have correct login UPN in AD, but I have tried both @contosoint and @contosoext UPNs. "autodiscover.contosoext.com" resolves to Exchange server IP. SRV records and forward lookup zones created for OWA and autodiscover.All other directories have default authentication settings.Followed this troubleshooter as best I could, except using ADSI Edit instead of